|Classic, Selection, Large||£10|
|Giant, Collector, Exception||£125|
Moyse Léon and Isaac (known as Georges) Lévy began as assistants at the Parisian photography studio Ferrier-Soulier under the Second Empire. They founded their own studio from 1864 and sold prints on Albumen paper, mainly stereoscopic views, under the signature Léon and Lévy ?L.L.?. The Léon & Lévy firm participated in the 1867 World Fair where they were awarded the Grande Médaille d?Or by the Emperor. In 1874, the Léon and Lévy studio became J. Lévy and Co. Isaac Georges Levy being the company?s sole director after that date. Following the arrival of Georges Lévy?s two sons in 1895, Ernest and Lucien, the company expanded and became Lévy & Fils [Lévy & Son] and the artworks retained the ?L.L? signature. This photographic firm was intensely active, publishing individual prints, travel albums (Spain, Portugal, Morocco, America) as well as postcards ? all between 1864 and 1917, the date at which they ceased their activities.